A 2-year postdoctoral position is available at DTU Chemistry starting from January, 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter, in the research group of Professor Kasper Planeta Kepp.
The project involves the study of the large protein complex γ-secretase, whose presenilin 1 subunit is the most significant genetic risk factor of familial early onset Alzheimer’s disease. Many pharmaceutical companies are developing medicine targeting this protein, which produces the infamous peptide Aβ. In 2016 and 2017 we developed the most complete structural and dynamic models of this protein in the membrane using multi-template modelling of available experimental data and extensive molecular dynamics simulation. This has revealed three major conformation states of the protein, the open, semi-open, and closed state, which we plan to target selectively with a new generation of conformation-sensitive medicine using our structures as basis. The project is thus at the forefront of current Alzheimer research and has a distinct competitive advantage by the use of explicit conformation states to direct the drug design.
Responsibilities and tasks
Your work will mainly focus on:
- Building complete molecular models of substrate complexes with γ-secretase and Notch
- Performing extensive molecular dynamics studies.
- Perform chemoinformatic analysis of structure –function relations, including QSAR.
- Carrying out docking simulations of a large variety of historic and new γ-secretase modulators, including new types specifically targeting the pathogenic conformation state.
- Drafting manuscripts describing project results.
- Up to 3½ weeks/year of teaching obligations (group supervision, some minor course teaching) as part of a training towards an academic career
we require the following:
- Candidates should have a PhD degree in computational chemistry or similar.
- Strong experience with protein modeling, including molecular dynamics using Gromacs, Desmond, or related programs
- Good programming and scripting skills.
- Several first-author papers in good international journals.
- Independence and good communication skills in English.
- A strong desire to work in science and continue an academic career.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and an academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The position includes an internationally competitive salary and pension package, vacation allowance, and Danish state-paid health care, and the position is for 24 months, with possible extension thereafter.
Further information may be obtained from Professor Kasper Planeta Kepp, tel.: +45 4525 2409.
Please submit your online application no later than 1 November 2017 (Local time). Apply online at www.career.dtu.dk.
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link “Apply online”, fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
- List of publications
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and scientific advice. Our staff of 5,800 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society; and our 11,000 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government, and public agencies